Pantone’s color of the year for 2020 is Classic Blue. It is a favorite of many interior designers because of its versatility, timelessness, and simplicity.
Pantone’s choice highlights people’s desire for calm and reassurance, comfort and something familiar. The color also reminds us of the sky at dusk.
Currently, interior design is gradually going back to traditional decorating and design styles. We see wainscoting and classical details in so many new homes, hotels, and establishments. Classic Blue is one way of going back to traditional decorating and interior design styles.
Classic Blue is very versatile and can go well when mixed with various materials, textures, and finishes. It can be matte, metallic, satin, velvet, or even silk. It matches well with different colors: neutrals, pastels, vibrant green, orange, and yellow, and of course, last year’s Pantone Color Living Coral.
Since blue is generally a relaxing color, it is best to use this in places and spaces where you tend to relax—like the living room and bedroom. It can also be used in the foyer. The foyer sets the tone and mood for the rest of your house since this is the first space that your guests see. A rich and strong color can make a big difference. Classic Blue makes a statement while still giving your guests the feeling of tranquility, and safety.
If you want to be on the safe side, and not commit to any major design change but still want to use Classic Blue, then you may install eye catching wallpaper and use other removable accessories such as pillows, beddings, and area rug in this color. Using a white palette, you can opt for key furniture pieces with Classic Blue color. You may have these reupholstered in the future when you feel like decorating with a different color.
You may go bold or understated with Classic Blue. You just have to find the balance. When you go bold, consider the use of larger pieces: painting the walls (be it accent wall for focal point or the entire room), statement furniture pieces such as sofa or bed. Otherwise, use small to medium size accents like throw pillows, area rug, floral arrangement, or ottoman or a small accent chair to add pops of color without dominating the space.
Classic Blue is sophisticated and rich and is timeless in any space. It is, indeed, fail proof!
Past selections for Color of the Year include:
• PANTONE 16-1546 Living Coral (2019)
• PANTONE 18-3838 Ultra Violet (2018)
• PANTONE 15-0343 Greenery (2017)
• PANTONE 15-3919 Serenity
and PANTONE 13-1520 Rose Quartz (2016)
• PANTONE 18-1438 Marsala (2015)
• PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid (2014)
• PANTONE 17-5641 Emerald (2013)
• PANTONE 17-1463 Tangerine Tango (2012)
• PANTONE 18-2120 Honeysuckle (2011)
• PANTONE 15-5519 Turquoise (2010)
• PANTONE 14-0848 Mimosa (2009)
• PANTONE 18-3943 Blue Iris (2008)
• PANTONE 19-1557 Chili Pepper (2007)
• PANTONE 13-1106 Sand Dollar (2006)
• PANTONE 15-5217 Blue Turquoise (2005)
• PANTONE 17-1456 Tigerlily (2004)
• PANTONE 14-4811 Aqua Sky (2003)
• PANTONE 19-1664 True Red (2002)
• PANTONE 17-2031 Fuchsia Rose (2001)
• PANTONE 15-4020 Cerulean (2000)
WORDS: IDr. Kathleen D. Grey, PIIID